Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Step by Step: How I Built A Solar Generator

Note ON THE VIDEO:
    • Lead Acid Batteries release hydrogen gas (extremely flammable) when charging. It you don't ventilate your contraptions enclosure, you're looking at some possibly dangerous scenarios.

• Negative on a 12 volt battery should be connected last so when your hooking up the positive you have nothing to ground to.
    Last edited by Sadoun; 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM.
    Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Re: Beginner Step by Step: How I Built A Solar Generator

Very cool Nsat will have to give this a try.
    Shop with confidence at: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

A few of my thoughts:

Separate "project box" and "battery box". (Hydrogen, H2SO4 and other battery nastiness belongs in its own box. Your project doesn't need a battery flopping around, pulling wires, smashing bits or shorting stuff out.)

Fasten stuff down. (Charge controller loose in the box?)

He did solder at least some of the connections, many of the photos showed bare stranded wire twisted around and through without solder. Heat shrink tubing would be a welcome addition. Using blade connectors/receptacles for the switch would be much better...

and ring terminals for bolts. (Instead of trying to keep stranded wire attached to the the volt meter and battery.)

Restrain if needed and completely cover/insulate loose wire ends before connecting them to a power source. It is good practice to always insulate/tape/wirenut/whatever loose/exposed ends. (Fortunately when he connected the wires with the clamps for the inverter they did not short to each other. I do think I heard some arcing around 4:54, just before he puts the - lead down, but he was also raking the ring terminal/lug across the threads of the + side of the inverter around the same time.)

Clamps like those are not for anything but temporary connection. Use ring lugs or other appropriate connectors.

Shoving wires that are way too long into places you can't see is asking for trouble. (Especially if using those clamps on the other end.)

Fuses?

Disconnect switch?

Consider interconnecting separate functional units (like the project box and battery box and the inverter) with connectors such as Anderson Power Pole or other connectors.

(Please correct me or elaborate anywhere needed.)

Comment

Teched, good points. Thanks for commenting. This is not my video or my project. Just wanted to share for discussion and learning from mistakes. Obviously this is a very amateurish project, but at least I felt he made an effort.

Comment

My intention wasn't to disparage or belittle the project but to get anyone considering doing something similar to consider a few safety/reliability improvements.

Build stuff, it is a great way to learn.

Comment

Working...
          X