Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY solar PV system

Hi Folks,

Couple years ago, I built a solar PV system to add to my grid tied home. We are located in Tennessee and our power supplier is TVA ( thru local distributors ). TVA has a REALLY GOOD solar program they call "green partner generators", and will give a 10 year contract to buy all our solar power production for 12 cents OVER retail. We pay about 9 cents ( varies quarterly with fuel adjustment ) for retail, so they pay us about 21 cents/kwhr for every solar hour produced, which is measured thru a separate meter on each PV system.

So, I decided to get on board with solar, having looked and dreamed about it for many years.

Started with a 12 panel set up ( 175w Solarworld panels ), on two homebuilt single axis trackers, went online Dec 2008. In the spring of 09, I added 6 more panels. Now have two arrays of 10 and 8 on the trackers.....I had to put them in pairs, since I have them wired in strings of 2.....total of 3150watts ( 3.15kw )

Here are the specs for the system equipment:

18--175w Solarworld panels 24v nominal, 2 FM60 Outback charge controllers ( one for each array), 2 GTFX2524 Outback inverters ( 2500watt each, with grid tie and off grid capability ) connected in master/slave arrangement to produce 240v dual phase power, and a 1200amp/hr 24v battery bank.

My initial goal was to build a system that would supply us with about 1/3 of our 900kw/hr/month average use, or about 300kw/hrs/month. So far, 27 months into this project ( of which the first 6 I only had 12 panels ), we've generated 7300kw/hrs or about 270kw/hrs/months......so I'm fairly close to my initial goal. Our electric bill for the year of 2010 averaged $45/mo, with some months actually a negative amount.

Having seen what solar CAN do, I decided to add some more, and hopefully not only eliminate our bill, but actually have them pay me a little....

So, I am currently getting ready to add another 2450watts in the form of 10 245w Solarworld panels on a new array with tracker I'm currently building. This tracker will be a dual axis, which is what brought me to this website, I've ordered 2 of the linear actuators they sell to operate the tracker....a 24" for the north/south tilt, and a 36" for the east/west tilt ( which is what I have two of now on the existing single axis trackers ) To control the actuators, I'll be using a controller I bought from the analogguy out of Canada. I tried several others on my existing system, but his has been the most trouble free and cost effective I've found.

Couple pics:

Looking down on the two existing arrays and our house.

Back of an array. That's a 36" linear actuator mounted to 6" steel pipe/post, and tied to the tilt frame I built out of 2" square tubing. I used electrical "Unistrut" across the tube frame ( welded to the frame ) for actual panel mounting, with some aluminum clips I had made up at a local machine shop. The tilt frame rotates on a 2" shaft that runs thru a pair of 2" pillow block bearings mounted to a pc of 4' x 8" wide channel steel that welded at a fixed angle to the top of the steel pole. I used latitude angle ( about 37 degrees here ) for the north/south tilt. This next tracker I'm building, mounted another pair of bearings on the side of the pole near the top, and building a frame that will tilt the latitude angle as well, with the same "H" frame made of square tube to tilt east/west. I think I can eek out a bit more power with that extra axis, based on what I see out of the two existing ones.

Re: DIY solar PV system

Hi TnAndy,

Welcome to the site. Nice setup you have and we are glad to hear that you ordered a couple of linear actuators from our site.

Having a tracker improves on power generation efficiency of the panels as you have noticed.

Are the panels of the same specs on each array?
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

Yeah, I found from some experimentation that single axis produces about 25% more power than fixed mount ( by disconnecting the tracker drive and recording daily results ).

The panels are the same power specs, except the newer set I ordered had a different backing on them ( which is why you can "see" thru some of them and not the original ones in the pic )...don't know why they changed that.

Comment

25% is a good improvement. With 2 axis, you will probably reach 30-35% improvement.

I have seen these "see thru" used on backyard shades.

BTW, you can use the attachment feature to load higher resolution pictures in your forum posts.
        Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

Great to see the post on solar panel ! ! During my project at final year BSc I just found out that solar panel can also be used for RVs and boats. I feel its a great innovation of the modern time.

Comment

Working...
          X