True South Satellite Motorized Dish Alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True South Satellite Motorized Dish Alignment

When you are pointing your motorized dish to your approximate true south satellite (closest to your areas longitude angle mines is 75.2319w) don’t you have to change the dish elevation (up & down angle) to focus in on that particular SAT. E.g. my dish elevation is 29 degrees and the motor angle is set at 40 (Dish Pointer info. for my area and zip code). But the satellite “ Brazilsat B3 75.0W or GOES 12 75.8 W) all have dish elevations in the 40 degree plus area. So I must change the dish elevation to a higher degree and leave it their?

Have you used the receiver to move the motor, with USALS, to the correct position (motor rotation)?

I don't think those two positions will be useful. Check the footprints to see if your area is covered. Perhaps 74 degrees or if you have a circular LNB then 77 would be good for course tuning as it is quite strong.
    Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

O.K..... lets say that the satellites I referenced (or yours) are o.k. do I still adjust my dish elevation (up and down angle) ? I have used USALS to get the correct position. I get approximately 60-70 percent signal strength but ALWAYS zero quality. Scan never says LOCKED just Scan FAILED after I do a channel scan. Been working on getting this system to work for over a week.
      Thank You!!

SonicView 8000HD Rec.
      Invacom single LNB SNH-031 (no switch)
      Fortec Star 80cm dish (31")
      PowerTech DG-280 Motor
      (All RG6 cable - run to receiver way under 55')

Comment

I'm not familiar with that receiver. My Mercury II always shows ~40% signal strength when an LNB is attached - it only goes higher when I get it on a satellite.

Do you have a separate signal meter like the SF-95?
        Make sure your LO is set correctly for the LNB.
        If you are relying on the STB, make sure you are using a current/active transponder and settings.
        Make sure your dish is set for your motor. The motor's setting, with the dish's setting, plus the rotation will combine (effectively) to give you the angle for each position.

And finally, to answer your question, yes I think tweaking angles is often needed. The motors I have seen have more precise markings than the dishes I have seen. (Accuracy I have not measured).

Check out the video on How to install an HH Mount DiSEqC USALS Motor? Applies to DG280, DG280B, DG380, STAB HH100, HH120, Moteck SG2100. Sadoun suggests leaving the motor elevation locked and tweaking the dish setting and motor rotation if needed..

Comment

Thanks for your recommendations Rising Star (will check all recommendations tomorrow - gone to work). I've seen the Sadoun video about 20 times, its really great information for a newbie like me. Yes I do have a SF-95 signal (sat finder) meter but I'm not really sure (after reading the directions several times ) what I'm doing. e.g, it says, angle the dish azimuth to the optimum angle when the meter is at an optimum setting (say 9-10) turn down volume db to about 5 repeat process again until you get the optimum signal. I just don't get it, if the signal meter go's to 9.5 (which I assume is a good signal) at a specific angle, why would I want to repeat the process?... I know eventually I'll get all of this to work, when I get more time from work. Thanks again for your help!
          Last edited by Robert1474; 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Well Robert,

Did you get your satellite system up and running?

Comment

True South Satellite

:cool: After several weeks I did, thank you. - I just wish that I got the 36" fortec star (which is the one I really wanted - but out of stock at the time) dish rather than the 30". The Sonicview 8000HD FTA receiver is great!

Thank You, again!

I like shopping a SADOUN sales sometimes.

Comment

Glad to hear all are well.
                __________________________________________________ ______________
                Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

Re: True South Satellite Motorized Dish Alignment

Need help setting up a motorized dish not sure where true south satallite is located ,i am located in Florida center of the state ,the info is as follows:
                  Viewsonic 8000hd receiver,30" dish,Invacom lnb QuadPolar with 40mm horn,DiSEqC Switch,Fortec Star Turner Motor(42mm)-(shiped to me WITH OUT A MANNUEL) My Lat is 28.9 and Lon is 81.9 So where is true south, and where do I point the Motor,and what else do I need to know
                  Thanks

Comment

welcome bird99

Go here:
                    Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values

Enter your zip code and select the type of motor you have.

It will give you results such as this (for Columbus, OHIO):
                    Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
                    Latitude: 40.0090°
                    Longitude: -83.1230°

Name: Powertech DG240 / DG280 / DG380

Distance: 37507km
                    Motor Latitude: 40.0°
                    Declination Angle: 6.3°

Dish Elevation: 29°
                    Elevation: 43.7°
                    Azimuth (true): 180.0°
                    Azimuth (mag.): 186.7° using Compass <<< THIS IS THE TRUE SOUTH direction using a compass

Using the compass, your TRUE South is the angle given in the Azimuth (mag.): ###.#° using Compass
                    Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

My motor is not listed on that site I have a Turner Motor(42mm) Fortec Star,so how do I set it up.
                      Thanks

Comment

It is probably similar to HH90.

If it is, just use the STAB HH90 settings
                        Attached Files

Comment

ok Ok i used the hh 90 motor setting and true south is +185.3 then I will have to losen the clamp to move it 5 deg. west and locate amc 3 at 87w
                          is this correct
                          Thanks

Comment

If your Longitude is 87W, then yes, AMC3 at 87W is your TRUE South satellite

Comment

Then what would be the correct setting on the receiver (sonicview8000hd) for usals
                              Will the receiver show the correct Satallite and Latitude and longitude when I move the entire dish and motor to the true south satallite amc3 at 87w
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X