This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Band Polar Mount Installation Part 2

Notice where the angle finder is located. Here is where the elevation setting is measured Adjust it to your longitude. Mine is 42 degrees here in Chicago (really 41.8 but I rounded up)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DishInstall06.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	105012

Here is a close up view of the elevations reading.

Name:	DishInstall07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	105011

Here is where the declination angle is located on my dish. adjust for (elevation angle + declination angle)
    Here in Chicago 42 elevation + 6.38 declination = 48.38 degrees

Name:	DishInstall08.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	105013

Close up view of elevation + declination settings
    Here in Chicago = 49 degrees.

Name:	DishInstall09.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	105014

Notice I have dish mount at it's highest point or Zenith. This is where you start to search for your true south satellite.
    Move dish/mount left and right. very small movements here. You must be using a active transponder to find quality on your receiver. My true south satellite here in Chicago is 87.0W SES2 or AMC3 the home of NASA Tv.
    With the dish in this position set the skew of the LNB to 0. As the dish move the skew will be correct.

Name:	DishInstall10.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	105015

Any questions feel free to ask here or in the forum. We would be happy to help you.
    I wish I had the same dish Sadoun sells to show how to set that dish up.If you
    do please share your installation photos with us here.
    Don
    Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Re: C Band Polar Mount Installation Part 2

Nice pictures should help someone.

Comment

Nice pictures Don. This will answer a lot of questions for people interested in installing a C-Band dish.
      __________________________________________________ ______________
      Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

Hello Frisky, thanks for the detailed information and pictorials to support. I am very new to this and have the following setup which I got from Sadoun satellite:
        - 6' dish
        - GBox V3000
        - Openbox S9
        - Standard twin C-band LNB

I currently have my mount and pole plumb and my elevation and declination set as well. I am currently in charlotte so I used my location data as shown from the dishpointer site.

My problem is that I don't get any channels no matter where I point or the amount of blind scans I perform. The signal on the openbox is stuck on 45% (signal intensity) and 10% (signal quality). The puzzling thing is that no matter how I tilt the dish it still shows the same numbers. I went as far as removing the LNB and placing it on the floor and still got thesame numbers :mad:.

Then my other issue I notice within the Openbox is that when I go into the Motor settings -> Positioning, a box comes up with the message "moving dish" but the dish never actually moves.

I need some serious help please anyone. I have spent a whole day trying to figure this out. Is my openbox functioning correctly. Am I missing something. Do I have to get one of those sophisticated digital satellite finders? They don't come cheap though :(.

Comment

Since you live in North Carolina your lat is 35.2W and your long is 80.8N
          Your true south satellite would be AMC9 at 83.0West and there are 2 active transponder on it for C Band.
          You must be set you dish up for true south at the highest point on the mount this is called Zenith. Set the elevation and the declination here. Set the LNB for a f/d of .38 on that dish. Set the skew for 0 degrees here I included a pic.

Now with the receiver we need to add a satellite to the list of available satellites. Follow these steps to do that.
          1) Press the "Menu" key. Arrow up/down to the satellite dish then press "OK".
          2) Now arrow up/down to the "Satellite List" press "OK".
          3) Now press the green button to "Add" a satellite a menu box will pop up.
          4) Now we are going to name it. use the remote and enter this "C_AMC9" when finished arrow down.
          5) Press the right arrow button and "W" will appear.
          6) Now we are going to enter the longitude of that satellite so enter "083.0" should read 083.0W now.
          7) Now press "OK" to save
          8) Now press "Ok" to Check that satellite. You must check any C band satellite you are going to use in the future.
          9) Now press "Exit" be sure to say yes to save.

Now we are going to manually enter a couple of transponders that are active on C_AMC9.
          1) From the satellite menu arrow up/down to "Antenna Setup"
          2) use the left/right arrows and stop on the satellite we added named C_AMC9.
          3) arrow down and edit the LNB Freq to 5150
          4) arrow down and be sure 22K is set "OFF"
          5) motor Type is OFF for now.
          6) Press "Exit"

From the satellite menu arrow up/down to TP List and press "OK"
          1) Press the green button to "Add".
          2) Enter this Frequency "3804" then arrow down.
          3) Enter this Symbol Rate "4167" then arrow down.
          4) Use left/right arrow set it to "V".
          5) arrow down to Save entry.
          repeat steps 1 thru 5 and enter this freq: 3817 symbol rate: 2878 polarity V. and Save.

6) Press Exit.
          7) Arrow up to "Antenna Setup" it should be still on C_AMC9 with a TP of 3804 V 4167.
          8) Now you can search for quality and signal In Chicago with a 7.5ft dish I get this transponder at sig 85% qual 60% the second transponder 3817 is a little stronger at sig 84% qual 70%.
          It will be different for you since you have a smaller dish and different location etc.

Photos

Name:	DishSkew.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	104061Click image for larger version

Name:	ReceiverAntSetup.jpg
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	104062Click image for larger version

Name:	ReceiverTPList.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	104063

Comment

Yes, for standard C-band LNBF the LO Freq is 5150.

However for bandstacked LNBF like the Eagle Aspen B1Satscaller
            • Bandstacked - One cable solution. Allows you to connect to multiple receivers using an optional high frequency splitter.
            • L.O. 5750
            Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!

Comment

Not sure why my last post didn't show up. But thanks Frisky for your response. I have tried 5150 among the other frequencies but the same result.

I am out of luck and might end up buying the satellite finder which shows when it locks on the satellite and the channel preview on the device.

Comment

latitude of 35.2 degrees your declination with be 5.64 degrees. So set elevation to 35 degrees and elevation + declination 35.22 + 5.64 = 40.86 or 41 degrees. I would start with this. Read this website also great info here http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tun...l#anchor715739

Comment

You are exactly right and that's what I did. I checked with the balancer and it showed the same. I also used the article http://www.hooktech.co.nz/files/file...ew_Setting.pdf to setup my LNB but still nothing. Any more tips?

Comment

Hi-
                    Do you have the Lo Frequency set to 5150 Mhz? That can cause those crazy readings. I have to run out to the post office I will help you out after I return.
                    Don

Comment

With a polar mount setup you must find your true south satellite which is 83.0 west. The transponders I gave you are active and you will get quality and signal when you find it. Make small movements. It's normal to have a signal of 45% and quality of 5 to 7% when you are not on the satellite. You should use a small tv and move receiver and tv near dish. Be sure to use RG6 cable RG59 will not work.
                      You can they to move the elevation up and down some too. I know it's frustrating setting up you first system. Did you try 5175 if you have that lnb. After you lock your true south satellite you use the actuator to move the dish and it will track the arc the satellites are in known as the Clarke's Belt. That is why the true south satellite is set at the polar mounts Zenith or highest point in the arc.
                      Don

Comment

Exactly which lnb do you have is it one that Sadoun sells? Is there any data on it to determine the LO freq? Did you set the skew and the f/d? just trying to go over your setup.
                        Don

Comment

Thanks for you response Frisky. I did try 5150 among others. Since my true south is actually 81degrees I started off from 83W down to about 37.5W with no luck. I just hope the receiver isn't the issue.

I have tried using the "not so easy to use" satellite finder and when i move the dish slightly upwards sometimes, I get the beep like it found a satellite. But looking at the signal on the receiver, I still get 45% and 10%. :(

Comment

Again thanks for your help Frisky, you are awesome I must say. I decided to go ahead and order the SatHawk 6910 satellite finder and it was the game changer for me.

Immediately I connected the LNB to the device, my signal intensity was about 75% which was awesome. I then had to move the dish slightly vertical upwards and downwards and came up with 85% with signal quality of 70% on 87W.

I think all DIYers should have this device handy since the openbox s9 doesn't help with initial setup of the big dish.

I am so excited and ready to use the actuator to get more channels now.:D

Comment

Dear Frisky...

Sorry to disturb you..my name is Shahrul from Malaysia..previously 2007 I bought Chinese decoder for FTV but the dish already damage due to weather...and now I just bought a S12 Decoder for my satelite dish...small dish no problem..can be set..and I need an advise about the setting a big dish..now I'm trying to set
                              Latitude: 6.2037
                              Longitude: 100.5443
                              Name: 113E KOREASAT 5 (MUGUNGWHA 5) | PALAPA D
                              Distance: 36010km
                              Elevation: 73.7
                              Azimuth (true): 116.0
                              Azimuth (magn.): 116.6
                              LNB Skew [?]: -63.3

and
                              Name: 78.5E THAICOM 5
                              Distance: 36376km
                              Elevation: 63.2
                              Azimuth (true): 255.1
                              Azimuth (magn.): 255.7
                              LNB Skew [?]: 73.9

and
                              Name: 113E KOREASAT 5 (MUGUNGWHA 5) | PALAPA D
                              Distance: 36010km
                              Elevation: 73.7
                              Azimuth (true): 116.0
                              Azimuth (magn.): 116.6
                              LNB Skew [?]: -63.3

and most urgent is how to set the LNBF..I'm using C Band Dual Polarity LNBF from my previous dish..dont know how to set the LNBF..Just wanna ask your advise about the scalar ring for C band dual polarity lnbf..I've no idea to adjust the ring as it have a few number ..what is the meaning of the number...what is the best position for scalar ring to get Telkom Sat or Palapa D..and Thaicom 5...the intensity is static at 45%...can u advise me about the position of scalar ring..maybe it will help and works..how many LNBF I can put on one dish to get the above satellite..pls help..tommorow I will upload photo of my dish for you to see..

Your support and guidance are mostly appreciated
                              Thank you..Shahrul

Comment

Working...
                              X