This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Photo Elevation & Declination Settings on Polar Mount

C Band Polar Mount typical installation. Notice the elevation and declination setting.

* Note Mount pole and the mount must level in all directions before proceeding any further *

1) Adjust your mount so it's pointing at your true south satellite for your location. This would be the closest satellite that is near your longitude. Here in Chicago this satellite would be 87.0West SES2 or AMC3 http://www.lyngsat.com/ses2.html Azimuth(true) 178.9 degrees Azimuth(mag)182.5 degrees. With the dish moved to the highest point in the arc of the polar mount snug actuator there. When the dish is at the highest point in the arc of the polar mount this call the "Zenith" This is like Home or 0 degrees on a ku HH motor.

2)Use your Sadoun or Craftsman angle locator to first set the elevation angle for your mount. Set the elevation to your latitude for your location. Here in Chicago that setting is 42 degrees. It really is 41.8 degrees but I rounded up.

3)Use your angle locator to set the declination setting for (elevation angle + declination angle) on you mount. Here in Chicago that setting is (42.0 + 6.38) = 48.38 so I set it to 49.0 degrees.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Frisky; 12-13-2011, 11:23 PM.
    Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Re: Installation Photo Elevation & Declination Settings on Polar Mount

Hi Frisky, I do not have a C-band dish so I never learned much about them. Apparently the C-band dish is not considered offset like a KU dish. On an offset dish we would sudtract the offset angle from the local elevation. Am I right on this.
    I would like to have a C-band but circumstances don't allow it.
    jim

Comment

Hi Jim
      I just set it to the elevation on the marked on the dish mount. If you have motor then you set the motor mount to your latitude. Then
      declination - angle of the motor pole which like 35 degrees. So 35 - 6.38 = 28.6 would what you set the dish to.
      My dish is a 31 inch Fortec dish and my latitude 41.8 offset angle for that dish is 22.75 41.8 - 22.75 = 19.05 that sure doesn't sound right. C Band we are using what is called prime focus. Pointing directly at the satellite in the sky.
      Don

Comment

Thanks Don for sharing this picture. It is very clear and explains how easy to set the angles on any prime focus dish. I would recommend an angle locator such as this to help in the installation and to set the angles correctly on your dish:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	104055

Johnson Level & Tool 700 Contractor Magnetic Angle Locator
        __________________________________________________ ______________
        Remember to follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to get the latest industry tips and updates on our products, as well as for support or customer service inquiries!
        __________________________________________________ ______________

Comment

Working...
        X