Purchase new system or fix old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase new system or fix old?

Hi Guys, I have a old BUD in the backyard and I was wondering if it would be better to convert it so it works with FTA, or just pruchase a smaller motorized FTA system. I see soudoun sells conversion kits for a good price. The wiring on the BUD is the flat kind with all the different wires. If I convert it would I need new wiring? I assume you can get more channels with a c/ku system.

Thanks!

Re: Purchase new system or fix old?

convert what you have the ribbon cable will work fine for FTA just slave a FTA receiver off of your existing receiver and you should be good to go.
    Shop with confidence at: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

Originally posted by rainman View Post
      convert what you have the ribbon cable will work fine for FTA just slave a FTA receiver off of your existing receiver and you should be good to go.
      Thanks for the response. Will I need anymore equipment other than the FTA receiver? Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Comment

check sadoun site you will need a slave kit to hook the fta receiver up to your existing system.
        Shop with confidence at: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

for easy control you can just get the digital C/ku lnb and also the v-box or g-box to move the dish.

Comment

Wow, if you have an existing BUD that is great. C-Band gives you alot of good channels. With a switch connected you could use both, the big dish and a new small dish. That is what I did. I got Sadoun's package deal on a small dish and had such fun with it I went out and found a big 6 ft dish someone was throwing away and installed my own bud. I suspect if your BUD is existing, then it should be aimed right at satellites. Ideally you could just use the big dish with an actuator, vbox actuator controller, Sathawk PVR800 from Sadoun and a C-Band/Ku Band LNB. That is what I have on the big dish. It gets only a few of the Ku Band stations so I may not have it aimed optimally. That is why have a 36" dish with a motor connected in and I can get all the Ku stations on my arc. The switch connects one cable to the receiver to up to 4 LNBs. It can only run one motor setup so I use the receiver to move the 36" dish motor, and a VBox 3000 to move the bid dish separately. You are lucky to have a BUD already. Also, some big dishes are not designed to pick up Ku band, so that may be another reason to get the small package from Sadoun.
            Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

Originally posted by Vitruvius View Post
              Wow, if you have an existing BUD that is great. C-Band gives you alot of good channels. With a switch connected you could use both, the big dish and a new small dish. That is what I did. I got Sadoun's package deal on a small dish and had such fun with it I went out and found a big 6 ft dish someone was throwing away and installed my own bud. I suspect if your BUD is existing, then it should be aimed right at satellites. Ideally you could just use the big dish with an actuator, vbox actuator controller, Sathawk PVR800 from Sadoun and a C-Band/Ku Band LNB. That is what I have on the big dish. It gets only a few of the Ku Band stations so I may not have it aimed optimally. That is why have a 36" dish with a motor connected in and I can get all the Ku stations on my arc. The switch connects one cable to the receiver to up to 4 LNBs. It can only run one motor setup so I use the receiver to move the 36" dish motor, and a VBox 3000 to move the bid dish separately. You are lucky to have a BUD already. Also, some big dishes are not designed to pick up Ku band, so that may be another reason to get the small package from Sadoun.

Vitruvius, will I need new wiring to use the sadoun kit? I have the ribbon cable now. I cant find my old receiver that used the ribbon cable, so if I need new I will get everything at one time. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Comment

If there is existing cable and you can see no damage, then you can use it. Ribbon cable should come with two coax cables and maybe four control wires and two or three power wires. You could get away with using just one of the coax cables, the two power wires and two controller wires. You should cut off the old connectors from the coax and install bright shiny new ones. Two heavier wires will be the power wires to connect to a new actuator for the big ugly dish and a VBox 3000. Two of the lighter wires should connect to the actuator and the Vbox to control the dish movement. Not knowing the condition of all these wires, it is a bit iffy that it will work depending on how long it has been sitting around exposed to the elements. If there is a way that you can test these wires for conductance it may save you the time of trying a full install.
                You can install a switch outside near the dish where you will connect the coax from the receiver. From that switch you need to attach a couple of other coax cables from the switch to the LNB on the BUD, and from the switch to the motor of your 36" dish. I recommend you do this after you have your dishes set up and aligned and working individually. You can test each dish by connecting directly to the coax from the ribbon cable first. Once it is set up to your liking, you can connect to the switch. You will have to make proper settings within your receiver to use the switch, but they are not difficult and as I suggest, this is after you have the individual dishes up and running. Good luck and have fun.
                Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Comment

Working...
                X