Announcement

Collapse

Coupon

Posted 3/2/2019: 1st time shopper coupon $3 OFF any order. Coupon Code: NORD3
Shop Now (https://www.sadoun.com)
See more
See less

I got the C Band up and running! Some observations...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got the C Band up and running! Some observations...

Hello All:

Well, I did it, I got the C band going with the Fortec 120 cm dish and the GeoSat dual output C band lnb. A few observations:

1. Signal strength here in WV is no problem. Here are the results of some blind scans with the Merc II:

Galaxy 16- 12 tps
    Galaxy 19- 13 tps*
    Galaxy 3C- 27 tps!!!
    Galaxy 11- 19 tps
    Galaxy 28- 9tps*
    AMC 3- 21 tps
    AMC 6- 6 tps

The asterisk indicates a questionable result, due to...

2. The real problem here is, as others have pointed out, overlap between adjacent sats. The 120cm dish is obviously blending signals between some sats, and trying to adjust west/east with Diseq 1.2 won't cure it. Having said that, I don't care that much as long as I can see what's out there! I haven't tried going way out west with this dish because it's mounted temporarily on my deck and the view is blocked by my house. If I put it up on the roof it'll be no problem.

3. The LNB arm on this dish is at the wrong angle, period! I noticed when I was at Sadoun's place that they had a little piece of something under the lnb holder to aim the lnb further down toward the center of the dish. This is absolutely necessary, C or Ku band! Doing this will get you a huge increase in signal quality (sometimes double).

4. The other thing that really bumps up the signal (assuming you've got it adjusted correctly) is the scalar ring- it made a huge difference, too.

5. No matter what, I absolutely, positively could get nothing out of the GeoSat C/Ku band lnb, ever. Mr. Sadoun, if you're reading this, I would really like to bring it up with me in October and try it out at your place to see if I was doing something wrong or if I got a bum one.

CN
    Last edited by cnagorka@gmail.com; 09-18-2009, 09:35 PM.
    Web store: Sadoun Sales International

Congratulations, I know the feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by cnagorka@gmail.com View Post
      Hello All:

Well, I did it, I got the C band going with the Fortec 120 cm dish and the GeoSat dual output C band lnb. A few observations:

1. Signal strength here in WV is no problem. Here are the results of some blind scans with the Merc II:

Galaxy 16- 12 tps
      Galaxy 19- 13 tps*
      Galaxy 3C- 27 tps!!!
      Galaxy 11- 19 tps
      Galaxy 28- 9tps*
      AMC 3- 21 tps
      AMC 6- 6 tps

2. The real problem here is, as others have pointed out, overlap between adjacent sats. The 120cm dish is obviously blending signals between some sats, and trying to adjust west/east with Diseq 1.2 won't cure it. Having said that, I don't care that much as long as I can see what's out there! I haven't tried going way out west with this dish because it's mounted temporarily on my deck and the view is blocked by my house. If I put it up on the roof it'll be no problem.

3. The LNB arm on this dish is at the wrong angle, period! I noticed when I was at Sadoun's place that they had a little piece of something under the lnb holder to aim the lnb further down toward the center of the dish. This is absolutely necessary, C or Ku band! Doing this will get you a huge increase in signal quality (sometimes double).

4. The other thing that really bumps up the signal (assuming you've got it adjusted correctly) is the scalar ring- it made a huge difference, too.

5. No matter what, I absolutely, positively could get nothing out of the GeoSat C/Ku band lnb, ever. Mr. Sadoun, if you're reading this, I would really like to bring it up with me in October and try it out at your place to see if I was doing something wrong or if I got a bum one.

CN
      thanks for send information to us
      i"m installer .please send to us all the channels you got it on c band with 120 satellite dish if you can.
      thanks

Comment

There's a ready made FTA C-band list already made up: go to www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html

It's pretty darned accurate. However, they stop at AMC 6 (72W)- from here in WV you can get Intelsat 9 at 58W, which is fantastic for me because it carries NHK World and I like japanese stuff.

CN

Comment

Hello All:

Galaxy 16- 12 tps
          Galaxy 19- 13 tps*
          Galaxy 3C- 27 tps!!!
          Galaxy 11- 19 tps
          Galaxy 28- 9tps*
          AMC 3- 21 tps
          AMC 6- 6 tps

CN
          Congratulations of getting the MiniBUD working so well. It's not easy! The C side of my GeoSatPro CK1 works fairly well, but the Ku side is very insensitive compared to my Invacom QPH-031. I may have a focal length issue, but haven't determined this yet. The GeoSatPro dual C-band LNBF is outstanding for the bucks. You probably already know you can minimize adjacent satellite interference for specific situations on dishes several ways to receive a favorite channel. I once attached a removable "TI-type" shield to the outer edge of the reflector, facing inward, to kill the hits. This was not a high-tech solution, but it worked.

Comment

Hi:

Well, you got more than I did out of the GeoSat unit! I got absolutely nothing after so much fiddling around...you're right, though, the dual output C band lnb works great, and the Invacom quad (which I have on the 90cm dish) totally rocks.

I would be interested to hear a few pointers on the adjacent sat interference. For me, it didn't seem like any signal was being degraded, it was just irritating to do a blind scan and get all excited, then find out that I'm seeing the exact same tps and signals that I just saw the next sat over.

CN

Comment

Good Job. Have you actually picked up any watchable channels from these transponders? Keep us posted.

I brought the scalar cone ring too, but I haven't installed it yet on my 120 dish. Without it, I only got one C band channel, a religious channel.

Comment

Hello:

There are some watchable channels out there; I've disconnected the system until I install it permanently, but I can remember a few:

as I said above, NHK World on Intelsat 9 at 58W comes booming through, which is great. Remember, it's in english! There's a bundle of american channels going to the Caribbean on Galaxy 19, I believe- one is an NBC affiliate, but during local news time you get reggae acts from the Virgin Islands! There are a couple of MyNetwork feeds, and a bouquet of channels which scan in as "GDMUX 1, 2, 3" etc, I never figured out whose feeds they were. I will say that the number of horse racing feeds was insane- all of the feeds you see on AMC 5 in Ku band (NYN) are individually available on C band, via Roberts Communications Feeds, spread out among three different sats (and, no, that's not a mistake caused by adjacent sats bleeding through!).

When I set the system back up on my roof, I'll go through and give everyone a detailed list of what I find, as it appears that there's some interest in the subject.

CN

Comment

Hello:

There are some watchable channels out there; I've disconnected the system until I install it permanently, but I can remember a few:

as I said above, NHK World on Intelsat 9 at 58W comes booming through, which is great. Remember, it's in english! There's a bundle of american channels going to the Caribbean on Galaxy 19, I believe- one is an NBC affiliate, but during local news time you get reggae acts from the Virgin Islands! There are a couple of MyNetwork feeds, and a bouquet of channels which scan in as "GDMUX 1, 2, 3" etc, I never figured out whose feeds they were. I will say that the number of horse racing feeds was insane- all of the feeds you see on AMC 5 in Ku band (NYN) are individually available on C band, via Roberts Communications Feeds, spread out among three different sats (and, no, that's not a mistake caused by adjacent sats bleeding through!).

When I set the system back up on my roof, I'll go through and give everyone a detailed list of what I find, as it appears that there's some interest in the subject.

CN
                  Be careful putting that dish on your roof. I had a tough time trying to hold the dish steady with one hand and tighting the nuts and bolts with the other hand. That's where my knee comes in. This dish is heavy, not like the 80 cm, the edge will dig into your skin unless you wear gloves. I would suggest that you consult a roofer to make sure your roof won't sag over time with this weight on it.

Looking forward to seeing your complete list of receivable channels.

Comment

I've actually given this a lot of thought- the weight of the dish, etc, wouldn't be supported by the roof at all. I'll take an example from the 90cm dish, where I bracketed a length of iron pipe to a big heavy vent pipe sticking out of the roof. It's worked great for several months. What I would do would be to get a longer length of schedule 40 pipe and actually cut a hole in the roof for it, and fasten it to the rafters and cieling joists in the attic. Distributing the stress that way shouldn't be any problem. There are pre-made rubbery plastic sealers designed to go over vent pipes to make the hole water tight, which I'll use, of course. So, the bottom line is that the roof itself won't take any weight at all, it'll all be taken by the structure of the house. It's a bit of a project, but if it's done right it'll give perfect clearance to the dish, and you won't even see it from the front of the house. If my neighbors saw two dishes up there they would think I was with the CIA or something. Now that's an idea:cool:

CN

Comment

I've actually given this a lot of thought- the weight of the dish, etc, wouldn't be supported by the roof at all. I'll take an example from the 90cm dish, where I bracketed a length of iron pipe to a big heavy vent pipe sticking out of the roof. It's worked great for several months. What I would do would be to get a longer length of schedule 40 pipe and actually cut a hole in the roof for it, and fasten it to the rafters and cieling joists in the attic. Distributing the stress that way shouldn't be any problem. There are pre-made rubbery plastic sealers designed to go over vent pipes to make the hole water tight, which I'll use, of course. So, the bottom line is that the roof itself won't take any weight at all, it'll all be taken by the structure of the house. It's a bit of a project, but if it's done right it'll give perfect clearance to the dish, and you won't even see it from the front of the house. If my neighbors saw two dishes up there they would think I was with the CIA or something. Now that's an idea:cool:

CN

If you spend this much effort, I hope that you are planning to stay in this house for awhile.

Comment

Well, this past weekend I got the mast up on the roof and moved the whole thing up there, only to be infuriated to find that it seems like the view to the western sats is blocked, compared to when it was on the deck! I think it's a tree up the street from me- if, when the leaves fall I suddenly get my signal back then I'll know.

I'll come up with a list of channels later on this week. But for the time being, here are a few more observations:

1. It seems like the Fortec can make do with less signal on C band than on Ku- you can have a tp with just 25 to 27% quality and it'll make it sense of it.

2. As I said before, and was warned about, the overlapping between sats is terrible- from 87W to 103W it's almost one big clump of signal- I'm going to have to use various lists already out there to eliminate duplications.

3. It's incredible how many HD, encrypted or otherwise unviewable channels there are on C band, compared to the ultimate number of tps. I'm especially surprised by how few network feeds there are. I mean, Ku band is full of them and C band has none (that I can see, anyway).

4. There are a few interesting things out there, like NHK World on Intel 9- who, by the way, are running notices that solar alignment could be interfering with satellite reception at this time of year. Also, I was pleased to find a BBC America radio feed on ISS 805.

I'll be back with more later.

CN

Comment

Check the arc of the sun, we are in equinox so the sun is about where the satellites are..........If your dish can see the sun you should be ok thru the arc.

Comment

Working...
                          X