Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Free To Air (FTA) channels?

What are Free To Air (FTA) channels?
    Free To Air (FTA) channels are digital channels that are not encrypted by the service provider and require no subscription or monthly payment. They are provided free of charge by the provider and are perfectly legal to receive with an FTA receiver.
    Where can I find out what channels are available free to air?
    There are many free to air channels available in North America on satellites such as Galaxy 10R, AMC4, Telstar 5, AMC3, etc. These channels are from the USA and from around the world. See North & South America - LyngSat for a complete listing of what is available. Some channels listed are DVB FTA ( Free-To-Air ) and some are encrypted (Pay TV). Note that these lists can become out of date quickly as frequencies and channels change often. With an FTA system you can only watch the unscrambled clear DVB channels with an F. Other scrambled channels are not free and require a subscription from their provider.
    Are there any DBS (Dish Network) or DSS (DirecTV) channels that are FTA?
    The channels provided by these companies are NOT FTA. The channels are encrypted and require an authorized receiver and monthly subscription.
    Can I use an FTA receiver to receive DSS/DBS premium channels?
    Absolutely not. These channels require subscription and special receivers supplied by the service provider only. Any tampering with your FTA receiver (whether by hardware or software modification) to try to receive the premium channels without paying is not only a violation of the law and unethical, but also will void the warranty on your receiver and may hinder it unusable. We do not support or condone piracy of signal. Don't even inquire about it. Sale of products on this site is subject to "Terms of Use and Declaration of Intent" agreement.
    Can I use my existing 18" DBS/DSS dish to receive FTA?
    No. All FTA channels are available on satellites with much weaker signal than DSS. The minimum size dish required is 30". Also, FTA and DBS / DSS satellites require different type of LNBs.
    What size dish I need for the Free to air channels?
    Can you help me choose an FTA system?
    Yes. Start by reading this the following pages: Choosing a Free-to-Air-FTA satellite system If you still have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    Last edited by Admin; 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM.
Working...
X